Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Plays Schools or Amateur Theatres Should NOT Touch

xxyellowxrose
Swing
Swing

Just want to say before the start of the actual post that I use the term amateur theatre as an umbrella term for non-profession theatre. And I use it endearingly, as I have taken part in it and know many others who have as well. I want to make it perfectly clear that I am in no way, shape, or form would use the term amateur theatre in an insulting manner. That is all, and hope you enjoy! 

I was researching the difficulty of staging certain shows for a short story I had to write for my fiction workshop class (not required for the class, just wanted a story with accurate details), one thing led to another, and I ended up watching a video about how The National Theatre of London staged Sarah Kane's Cleansed (to say the stage directions of that show are gory and undoable would be an understatement). Something in the video that stuck with me was that one of the people interview discussed how difficult it was for this show to be produced even on a professional level.

This got me thinking about how Cleansed would handled by colleges or amateur theatres and I came to the conclusion that it's just one of those plays that couldn't be done well without the expertise and budget of a professional theatre.

Now, I'm not saying that a community theatre out in Connecticut or something isn't allowed do Cleansed or any show with similar technical demands and content. What I want to discuss in this message board is this; Is there a play that you think can't be done tastefully or thoughtfully with the limitations university and amateur theatre? And if so, why?

I'm interested to see what you guys have to say and all I ask is that the discussions on this message board be civil. 

Thanks for reading!