Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

Beetlejuice Opening in Seoul, South Korea in June 2021

DiscoCrows Profile PhotoDiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

https://twitter.com/DavidKorins/status/1318247092037570561?s=20

Uh? Is this happening or what? Literally no other outlets reporting on this but given it's coming straight from Korins I assume the ball is already rolling?

Also assume this means a return to Broadway is out of the question.

Edit: OH! Forgive me, here is the BWW News article for anyone interested. Didn't see it at first. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BEETLEJUICE-Will-Premiere-in-South-Korea-in-2021-20201019

Updated On: 10/19/20 at 04:02 PM
SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was on BWW!
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Seems that folks in S. Korea adore musicals.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
DiscoCrows Profile PhotoDiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

SouthernCakes said: "It was on BWW!"

My bad! Just saw it now, thanks for the heads up. Added the news link in my first post.

ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Kind of jealous that Korea has theaters open and shows are being able to perform.

On another note, wonder what the diehard fans think? Will a few actually try and fly to Korea to go see this?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wow! Looks like this production will be performed in the Korean language!

Jordan Levinson Profile PhotoJordan Levinson Profile Photo
Jordan Levinson
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

Wick3 said: "Wow! Looks like this production will be performed in the Korean language!"

그것은 쇼 타임입니다. (courtesy of an English to Korean translator)

(heads down to the orchestra pit during the Exit Music)
Updated On: 10/19/20 at 09:46 PM
SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Does Timber’s fly over for this or do they use an associate?
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

SouthernCakes said: "Does Timber’s fly over for this or do they use an associate? "

Most international productions use resident directors, way cheaper.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
GiantsInTheSky2 Profile PhotoGiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

ACL2006 said: "On another note, wonder what the diehard fans think? Will a few actually try and fly to Korea to go see this?"

I highly doubt any of these teenagers will be flying over. They barely had money to see the show in person.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SouthernCakes said: "Does Timber’s fly over for this or do they use an associate?"

It usually depends on scheduling, but typically an associate will do the bulk of rehearsals and tech, and then the original director will be brought over for the final couple of days before previews start and then stay through the preview period. At least for the first non-US replica staging. When you start getting into multiple international productions, or even multiple North American companies, you'll find the original director maybe sees one dress or preview, if that.

Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Since South Korea has live theater available right now, do you think other Broadway productions may translate their songs to Korean and perhaps do a production in Seoul next year as well?