Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Antonio Banderas set to direct and star in Company

imeldasturn Profile Photoimeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Antonio Banderas will direct and star in a Spanish production of Company at the Teatro del Soho in Málaga in Fall 2021. It looks like the show will be staged in the round.

https://elpais.com/cultura/2020-10-21/antonio-banderas-dirigira-y-protagonizara-el-musical-company-en-su-teatro-del-soho.html

qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OooOo nice. I guess this will not be in English?
"Rose in Gypsy was like going through therapy for me. Playing Rose helped me put a lot of emotions to bed. There was so much lacking in Rose and that's why she had to prove herself through her children. [interviewer]In ways that reminded you of your mom?[/interviewer]. Let's just say the role was very interesting for me. That one was the most interesting [I've ever played]" - Bernadette Peters (2018)
temms Profile Phototemms Profile Photo
temms
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
So Bobby will be turning 60 in this version?
joevitus Profile Photojoevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

temms said: "So Bobby will be turning 60 in this version?"

My thought, too.

Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But I would pay ALL OF THE MONEY to see Melanie Griffith as Joanne.
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

qolbinau said: "OooOo nice. I guess this will not be in English?"

He owns and runs this theatre so all of the productions are in Spanish.  His intention is to produce Spanish productions of classic work.  

imeldasturn Profile Photoimeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

When I watched Dolor y gloria I thought that he could have been a brilliant George in Sunday, but if age is not an issue for him maybe he can still do it lol

Elibal Profile PhotoElibal Profile Photo
Elibal
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

He said in the press conference that Sondheim didn't allow them to do any version that had already been done and encouraged them to try new things, so this production will be set in the seventies, but in a deformed liquid way, as if it is all a memory and the character is remembering his youth. 

ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Can't imagine this being any good. His Zach was terrible. The one bright side to the pandemic was his Spanish version of A Chorus Line isn't transferring now.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
henrikegerman Profile Photohenrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jordan Catalano said: "But I would pay ALL OF THE MONEY to see Melanie Griffith as Joanne."

You're killing me. 

ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A preview performance of the title number is here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qj2tL6jAdc

Antonio actually sounds fantastic, but my goodness, any time this number is staged with cheesy choreography, it ruins it for me. Thankfully Marianne Elliot uses the 70's styled orchestrations, while staging it without any ridiculous/cheesy choreography. 

Updated On: 10/22/20 at 07:30 PM
ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Assuming since it's not opening until a year from now that that was just a preview concert. 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
darquegk Profile Photodarquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is... actually pretty cool. But when is Banderas going to fulfill his destiny as Cervantes in Man of La Mancha?
Marlothom Profile PhotoMarlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

As a Spanish speaker, two things:

1) the word "company" does not exist in Spanish, so I don't understand why it's the title song in a Spanish version of this show.  

2) Geez, Sondheim only works in English, it is impossible to translate his genius and wit into other languages (see also, Lin Manuel's "I Feel Pretty).  

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Marlothom said: "As a Spanish speaker, two things:

1) the word "company" does not exist in Spanish, so I don't understand why it's the title song in a Spanish version of this show.

2) Geez, Sondheim only works in English, it is impossible to translate his genius and wit into other languages (see also, Lin Manuel's "I Feel Pretty).
"

English works have been successfully translated and adapted to hundreds of languages. Maybe you feel you couldn't do it yourself?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Marlothom Profile PhotoMarlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Blaxx, let's agree to disagree.  Translating it to Spanish (and other languages) so it makes sense is one thing; capturing the nuance/brilliance of the original is much harder.  I look forward to traveling to Malaga and seeing this and learning how they do with "Not Getting Married".   I have a Spanish version of "The Last Five Years" somewhere in one of my journals. 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Marlothom said: "Blaxx, let's agree to disagree. Translating it to Spanish (and other languages) so it makes sense is one thing; capturing the nuance/brilliance of the original is much harder. I look forward to traveling to Malaga and seeing this and learning how they do with "Not Getting Married". I have a Spanish version of "The Last Five Years" somewhere in one of my journals."

Hard, yes, imposible, never. A skillful adaptor with great use of the language can accomplish a lot. All art done well will never be easy,  but not impossible.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
SisterGeorge
Stand-by
Stand-by

ljay889 said: "Antonio actually sounds fantastic..."

Surely you meant to write that he "looks" fantastic (because he really does). But "sounds"? yikes.

I loved him so much in NINE, but time marches on.

darquegk Profile Photodarquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He’s on pitch, in character, enthusiastic and musical, though definitely more of an actor who sings. That, to me, IS the quintessential Sondheim sound- you want it to be just a little idiosyncratic.
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

blaxx said: "Marlothom said: "As a Spanish speaker, two things:

"

English works have been successfully translated and adapted to hundreds of languages. Maybe you feel you couldn't do it yourself?
"

I mean since a preview of the title song was just posted above in Spanish surely one or both of you could judge right now about how the translation is, for this song at least?

"Rose in Gypsy was like going through therapy for me. Playing Rose helped me put a lot of emotions to bed. There was so much lacking in Rose and that's why she had to prove herself through her children. [interviewer]In ways that reminded you of your mom?[/interviewer]. Let's just say the role was very interesting for me. That one was the most interesting [I've ever played]" - Bernadette Peters (2018)
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

WTF?! Since when has there never been a Spanish translation of the word “company”? The Spanish word is “compania” and is used in all the same variations as in English.

English: “It’s a large company.”

Spanish: “Es una compania grande.”

English: “I want company over tonight.”

Spanish: “Quiero compania esta noche.”

Geez, Louise.

Geez, Louisa.

CarlosAlberto Profile PhotoCarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

BrodyFosse123 said: "WTF?! Since when has there never been a Spanish translation of the word “company”? The Spanish word is “compania” and is used in all the same variations as in English.

English: “It’s a large company.”

Spanish: “Es una compania grande.”

English: “I want company over tonight.”

Spanish: “Quiero compania esta noche.”

Geez, Louise.

Geez, Louisa.
"

You forgot the ñ gurl. Estupida! 

ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

SisterGeorge said: "ljay889 said: "Antonio actually sounds fantastic..."

Surely you meant to write that he "looks" fantastic (because he really does).But "sounds"? yikes.

I loved him so much in NINE, but time marches on.

"

You do realize people can have two different opinions, right?

BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You forgot the ñ gurl. Estupida!

“Compania” doesn’t use an “ñ”, genius.  

CarlosAlberto Profile PhotoCarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

BrodyFosse123 said: "You forgot the ñ gurl. Estupida!

“Compania”doesn’t usean “ñ”, genius.
"

It must certainly DOES...Pendeja!

Try writing and speaking proper Español and dictionary.com is your friend, bruta.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/compania

Updated On: 10/24/20 at 08:29 PM